Since 2004, e-trikala , in cooperation with and in the line of the operational program “The Information Society” is acting in the fields of new broadband technologies, successfully implementing municipal projects. On the 8th of April, 2008, having the required experience, it was transformed into e-Trikala S.A., an emerging company, formed within the Municipality of Trikala, Greece.
By creating infrastructure and by providing services, e-Trikala continuously aims to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) based applications, oriented to the improvement of all citizens’ everyday life, in a medium sized city, simplifying public transactions, reducing telecommunication costs and delivering new services related to the local way of life. Moreover, these ICT applications offer new ways and methods that enable citizens participate on policy-making, while in parallel establish local Government and Public Authorities as guarantors of local society’s every day proper, digital and distanced operation.
e-Trikala S.A. operates upon a fully integrated basis while, as the First Digital City in Greece (proclaimed in 2004 by the Minister of Economics, Mr. Folias), it establishes high technological and broadband National standards by using and offering its “know-how” to other municipalities within Greece.
During the last couple of years, e-Trikala is cooperating with the Central Union of Greek Municipalities ( ΚΕΔΚΕ ), serving as a consulting company, using research and development strategies, regarding the country’s technological as well as economic growth.
The company’s main areas of expertise are:
- e-government & e-democracy
- geographical information systems
- networks (Wi-Fi, fiber optic, Wi-Max pilot application & operation)
- event planning & organizing (exhibitions, conferences, galas)
e-Trikala projects refer to a number of actions and infrastructure, which aim to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) based applications, oriented to the improvement of citizens’ everyday life, in a medium sized city.
As we are moving through the 21st century and as we deploy technology and its advantages, every citizen has the opportunity to enjoy useful applications for their everyday transactions, their distanced servicing as well as local and touristic information services. The e-trikala team operates under the new broadband reality of things, while it creates and provides digital projects, integrated broadband applications and e-services for the citizens.
The field of overall National, European and International activities until today includes:
- Official INEC membership (International Network of e-Communities) membership
- Lead partnership of the European project INTERREG Digital Cities
- Host and lead organizers of the Broadband Cities 2008 (INEC’s annual conference)
- Candidate and Smart21 award winner during the Broadband Economy 2009 Annual Summit in New York
- Founder of the first Digital Community S.A. in Greece consisting of 11 municipalities of central Greece (1,5 million people)
- Participation in “e-Health based Chronic Disease Management 2008” in Slovenia
- Αctive in E-health European projects (ISISEMD, e-HealthRegion, WISEE, LivingLabThessaly, RenewingHealth, INDEPENDENT)
- Recently member in the Global Cities Dialogue network
- Partnership in the European project ISISEMD.